The primary aim of SHaLP is to ensure that all team members are aware of the potential hazards and risks they may face in its areas of operation. Underlining this core goal are five key objectives that, when combined, lead to the creation of a safe work culture:
1. Developing understanding of concepts surrounding safety, risk, logistics, hazards, and health.
2. Understanding of the roles and responsibilities assumed by the management team.
3. Fostering understanding of the roles, assignments, tasks, and limitations of individual employees in relation to their work.
4. The creation of strong communication practices that hinge on employee understanding of their roles and responsibilities in regard to their interactions with others.
5. The maintenance of the program to ensure managers and employees have access to relevant resources, facilities, and services.
According to Dr. Goodwin, proper health and safety should be practiced everywhere, and all the time. Health and Safety planning and practice are core values of R. Christopher Goodwin & Associates, Inc.